Monday, March 03, 2008

This Stuff Works!

Again this Sunday I was impressed with the results of using a story from Young Children and Worship or Godly Play. My experience and training in these curricula are limited, my materials are mostly home made out of cardboard and paper...and still I see such interest and response from children!

I was able to give a couple kids a lot of time to work with the story materials themselves after I told the story about Zacheaus. They are eager to do this. One child used the materials to work through the story again without using the words. The other child largely made up new scenarios with the materials. The most poignant of these in my mind was when the child had someone say to Zacheaus: "Do you know why people don't like you? Go that way," pointing toward Jesus, "There is a man who will love you."

2 comments:

janE said...

Hi, Monica,

I wonder if you can tell what you could use in addition to paper glue and sissors. I think that is what you said . . .

janE

Monica said...

Jane,

Thanks for your interest. Sorry my reply has been slow in coming.

Most of the stories use a felt underlay. I've been making these easily enough.

The figures used in the stories are supposed to be wood. The Young Children and Worship book has patters in the back for them. Not having the skills to make them of wood, I've compromised by making them of tag board & construction paper, or depending on the item, plain old corregated cardboard from used boxes. Depending on the particular story there can be other items called for as well...special boxes, baskets, candles or other more story specific items.

Last week I used artificial leaves from a stem purchased at a craft store and squares of cloth cut from my stash of scrap material at home (I knew there would be a use for it sometime, right?).

This week I've managed to use craft store items (wood, paint & modeling clay) to make a table, plate, cup and loaf of bread that I'm pretty happy with. However I'd say my cardboard "backdrop of the upper room" leaves something to be desired. But, at least on a basic level it will serve the purpose. It doesn't have the beauty & quality probably called for...but it will have to do.

The stories in Young Children & Worship are not all the same as the ones in Godly Play. I have not found the materials for Young Children & Worship available to purchase. Godly Play does have materials available for purchase. Some of them I think are better obtained in more cost effective ways. Others my sensibilities about expendatures have kept me from ordering for other reasons, though eventually I anticipate that I will order some of those that would be the most challenging to make or otherwise obtain.