Friday, March 14, 2008

Godly Play Materials

In response to my comment in a previous post about how well kids are responding to the Godly Play style stories, in spite of materials made with paper & scissors, a reader asked further about the materials. Here are a couple pictures and some info.

This picture includes Jesus (purple figure in center) talking to Zaccheaus in the tree. They are by Jericho (left of the tree) on the way to Jerusalem (on the right end of the purple underlay).

Most of the stories use a felt underlay. I've been making these easily enough.

The figures used in the stories are supposed to be wood. The Young Children and Worship book has patterns for them. Not having the skills to make them of wood, I've compromised by making them of tag board & construction paper, or depending on the item, plain old corrugated cardboard from used boxes. Stories often call for other items as well...special boxes, baskets, candles or other more story specific things.

Last week I used artificial leaves from a stem purchased at a craft store and squares of cloth cut from my stash of scrap material at home. (I knew there would be a use for it sometime, right?)

This week I've managed to use craft store items (wood, paint & modeling clay) to make a table, plate, cup and loaf of bread that I'm pretty happy with.
However I'd say my cardboard "backdrop of the upper room" leaves something to be desired. But, at least on a basic level it will serve the purpose. It doesn't have the beauty & quality probably called for...but it will have to do. (Can somebody who understands this stuff better explain why I can't get an empty line between paragraph above and the one below?!?)
The stories in Young Children & Worship are not all the same as the ones in Godly Play. I have not found the materials for Young Children & Worship available to purchase (even though Godly Play Resources sells the Young Children & Worship Book.) Godly Play does have materials available for purchase. Some of them I think are better obtained in more cost effective ways. Others my sensibilities about expenditures have kept me from ordering for other reasons, though eventually I anticipate I will order some of those that would be the most challenging to make or otherwise obtain.

No comments: