Tuesday, August 14, 2007

They Have to Be Doing Something

Last week was Vacation Bible Camp. Gethsemane joined St Mark's Cathedral.

My job was basically to be in charge of the 3-4 year olds.

One of the adults (who I think was sent to help for a couple days when it was becoming apparent what a difficult and desperate situation it was to be in charge of the 3-4 year olds) pointed out about this age that they have to be doing something.

I think that has good applicability beyond age 4 and its gotten me thinking in terms of what we offer kids (or adults) the chance to do (other than sit still and be quite) when they're at church.

Here are examples of positive responses from my kids or others that stand out to me :

  • Participation in the Palm Sunday procession elicited a spontaneous "that was fun."
  • During some music last week one of my kids wanted me to dance with them.
  • Going forward and receiving communion seems important and to be desired.
  • Dipping fingers in the baptismal water to make the sign of the cross is frequently done.
  • Lighting a candle, making an offering and praying for someone is requested.
  • Art work is popular. Someone made a note on the art room chalk board "Art Room - Yes!"

I'm thinking about more ways we can make church an active, doing experience. Not doing for the sake of doing itself....but as a way to express and engage with things that often remain cerebral and unengaging to kids, and even to many of us adults.

1 comment:

Aron Kramer, M.Div said...

Or maybe carry torches, help with communion and all that stuff too...

We should think about this, expecially your kids who are way old enough to help in the service.

Great post Monica,
Thank you!
Aron