Friday, August 31, 2007

Let's Have Fun

I'm a little serious sometimes. (In fact that's probably a pretty big understatement and certainly not news to anyone who knows me personally.) I will not say being serious is a bad thing. But a more lightheartedness & levity would no doubt serve me & those around me well.

I've been thinking about the upcoming year of church programming, Sunday School, etc. I think whether you talk to kids, to adults about their current experiences, or to adults about their experiences as kids, one of the big problems related to church is how often it's experienced as boring.

I don't think it should be that way. I think there are things we can do about that. Lets find them. I'm thinking my goal for this year for church and Sunday School programming might be to have fun. In expansive order, not in order of priority specifically to:

  • Enjoy ourselves
  • Enjoy each other
  • Enjoy church
  • Enjoy God

Don't worry, I won't be throwing out theology or anything like that. I don't think I could do that if I wanted to, it seems like its just wired into me. But if kids (or adults) can't do what they do at church with enjoyment, I don't think they'll want to do it very long. I think healthy & lively spirituality grows out of an inner drive of the spirit (of the person) and the Spirit (God) in communion with each other. This tends to be exciting and engaging. I don't think a healthy & lively spirituality is well nurtured out of an inner drive for duty that has turned to drudgery.

So, lets look for sparks of joy and fuel them so we increasingly enjoy our worship, our learning, our fellowship and our service.

No comments: