Monday, May 07, 2007

Cookies for Members

Things came together in such a way that my kids and I ended up missing the church service and just arriving at church for Sunday School last Sunday.

While still at home, this brought up a question. If you don't go to church can you still get cookies (during the coffee hour after the service)? One of my kid's responses yielded good news and bad news.

Bad news: The responding child may lack a sense of open hospitality that welcomes everbody.

Good news: The responding child feels like they belong at Gethsemane!

They explained that you couldn't just walk in off the street and have cookies, but that if you're a member and you're there before the cookies get put away you can have cookies.
So, my husband, who was leading this conversation, followed up by asking,
"Are you a member?" Response: "Yes."
"Is [your sibling] a member?" "Yes."
"Is Mommy a member?" "Yes."
"Am I a member?" (Now, I should say that my husband is Taoist and his involvement in church is much differerent and more limited than mine.)
Response: "Sort of."

All very interesting.
But my favorite part is that sense of my child's of being part of the church.
That's significant I think.

No comments: