Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Chalk Art

The chalk board in the Sunday School room used to be a problematic distraction from the things I had planned for the kids. I tried putting away the chalk. The kids always got it out again. Finally I figured out the obvious: don't fight it, use it.

I don't let the kids use the chalkboard just anytime, but during the times I give them choices about what to do (modeled after an approach I picked up at a Godly Play training session), working on the chalkboard is one of the options. One or more of the children often choose to work with chalk and their work appears meaningful.

I've photographed some of their work before erasing it and plan to include some pictures in the display of personal Christmas items at church beginning Christmas Eve. They're pleased about this and I hope it communicates to them that their work is valuable, which I believe it is.

No comments: